Passo San Boldo

San Boldo - Cison di Valmarino

see item in detail
Passo San Boldo

Description

Today we reach the San Boldo from the town of Tovena occupies the motorist for about 20 minutes. But the climb to Passo has not always been so quick and pleasant. For centuries, merchants and raftmen, farmers and shepherds, sheep, horses and mules loaded with merchandise climbed laboriously on the steps of the joists larch obtained between the rocks that made up the last stretch of the trail leading to the San Boldo.

The carts pulled by cattle in fact they could only get to the place Cargacar, just after the village, where they were the exchange of goods, from there went on foot or mule, making a stop at Christ, breath taking perhaps reciting a prayer .

Only at the beginning of the last century was built the current road that provides easy access to the towns of St. Anthony Tortal, Mel and Trichiana, located beyond the mountains, in the territory of Belluno.
At this point the reader will wonder why these improvements were not designed or implemented earlier, given also the important economic interests that bound the High Trevigiano to Valbelluna. An example is that in the taverns of the Belluno drank the wine produced from the vineyards of the Piave district, all transported by mule up and down the channel.

Well. Attempts were there, but did not bring desired outcome. On several occasions the community of Valmareno had tried to obtain from the Republic of Venice for permission to place the channel so that you could pass a wagon pulled by oxen. The intervention of the Doge, however, repeatedly crushed the hopes of the natives, imposing that the road would remain in the condition in which it had always been.
The reason was easy to understand: a new route, accessible, and above all fast, he could divert traffic from Conegliano, Serravalle and Capo di Ponte (modern bridge in the Alps) and damage so the important economic interests that the Republic of Venice was derived duties of such customs.

A confirmation of this iron will of the Serenissima think that, in 1573 ordered not only that the work started without authorization were blocked, but even decreed that fell apart what had already been achieved.
Only in 1914 and in a very different context, something was changing. Finally the aspirations of local people, albeit in a climate historian sad and gloomy, they found partial satisfaction. Unemployment and emigration were a social problem of considerable proportions now and the Municipality of Cison, using some facilities of the law, instructed the engineer Giuseppe Carpenè up with a plan for the construction of a new roadway. It was thus possible to employ 500 emigrants repatriated, realizing the first trunk road, from Tovena to the Al Christ were missing but the last 100 meters of ascent, a steep wall of rock.

The dream of a road linking the Valmareno to Belluno slope was so made by the alien: the Austro-Hungarian army. In 1918 and was completed in only 100 days that work desired for centuries.

The Austrians, in fact, required a direct way with the line of the Piave and, employing a total of 7000 workers, mostly soldiers austo- hungarians, prisoners Italians, Russians and Bosnians, with the support of the local population, realized the six bends and five galleries that still make up the last stretch of the canal of San Boldo ... then known as "The Road of 100 days", on which so much has been said and written.

It is worth pointing out that the current road alignment is due to the work of arrangement lasted thirteen years, which resulted in the closure of the passage from 1980 to 1993.


Search tourism

Newsletter

Subscribe to our Newsletter below to receive exclusive offers and the latest news.


Partners

Link